There are some simple changes that you can make to your hair care to help prevent breakage which can eventually lead to hair loss. How you style your hair can cause it to look brittle, frizzy and lackluster, or even fall out. You can follow these dermatologist tips to help style your hair without causing damage:
• Dry your hair by wrapping it in a towel or letting it air-dry. By decreasing the amount of times that you blow-dry your hair each week, you help limit damage.
• In most cases people should handle wet hair as little as possible; because wet hair breaks more easily when it is combed or brushed, hair should partially air-dry before styling. However, if you have tightly-curled or textured hair, you should brush your hair when it is wet.
• Limit the use of a comb to apply styling products throughout your hair. This can cause hair to break and can lead to hair loss over time.
• Don’t brush your hair too much. One hundred strokes each day can cause split ends.
• Excessive heat can damage your hair so if you use a curling iron, leave it in place for only a second or two and if you use a flat iron, use it on dry hair on a low heat setting no more than every other day.
• Do not wear braids, cornrows, ponytails, or hair extensions for a period of time. These pull on the hair and can cause tension (“traction alopecia”) that leads to breakage and hair loss.
If you fear that you may have any damage from improper styling, you can contact an expert who has been specifically trained in hair care. The professionals at New England Associates® can perform a physical examination of your hair and scalp. If you are interested in discussing this with an expert, contact New England Associates® today. At New England Associates®, how you feel about your hair loss, and making the right choice to solve it, matters. We encourage you to take the time and review the possibilities and come in for a no cost, no obligation private hair loss consultation.
Look as Good as You Feel!™
Make New England Associates® Your First Step to a Better Looking Future!™
Since 1982 New England Associates® has known hair loss is as individual as you are. New England Associates® offers all of the procedures that work to repair, replace, restore, and grow hair. We are members of the American Hair Loss Council and the Better Business Bureau. Locations include Wakefield, MA and Manchester, NH. Our hair restoration options include hair and scalp treatments, non-medical hair replacement, laser hair therapy treatments, hair transplants, and shampoos and vitamins for fine and thinning hair.
Research from the American Academy of Dermatology